Free education and support for families who have relatives with serious mental illness
The NAMI Family-to-Family Education Program is a new concept in education for families and others who are affected by serious mental illness: schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, recurrent major depression, bipolar disorder (manic-depression), panic disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders. The course was written by mental health professionals and family members who have personally experienced the challenge of living with a mentally ill family member. The Family to Family Program material is taught by family members who have completed the course and are specially trained to present the class to others.
The course includes:
- Learning about normal reactions when mental illness strikes a family.
- Schizophrenia, Major Depression, Mania, Schizoaffective Disorder, getting through a critical period.
- Types and sub-types of Depression and Bipolar Disorder, panic disorder, and OCD; telling our stories.
- The biology of the brain, research, causes, the biology of recovery.
- Problem solving, setting limits, problem solving skills workshop.
- Medication Review.
- What its like to have a brain disorder, empathy workshop.
- How illness interferes with the capacity to communicate, communication skills workshop.
- Self-care, how to balance our lives
- Rehabilitation, a first-person account of recovery.
- Advocacy, learning how to change the system.
- Review and certification ceremony.
The NAMI Family-to-Family Education Program is appropriate for parents, siblings, and significant others of persons with severe and chronic mental illness. An individual who is suffering from one of the major mental illnesses may participate in the class if his/her present condition is stable and he/she is the primary caregiver of a mentally ill person.
Registration is required
If you are interested call NAMI Orange County at (714) 544-8488. When you respond, please indicate that you want to participate in a class offered at Saddleback Church.