About The Program
Our interns are a very valuable part of the ministry teams here at Saddleback Church. We receive applications from all over the United States and actually all over the world.
Potential interns are taken through a lengthy, in depth interview process and we only accept interns that stand apart from the rest.
Our Intern Program is a 2-year program. It is designed to equip ministry leaders who feel a specific calling to full-time vocational ministry in the church.
They have finished their undergraduate degree and have some ministry experience. In this program they are both a learner and a contributor.
Their time is spent learning under the leadership of gifted ministry leaders in a Purpose Driven Church model.
Our interns must raise their own financial support from family and friends back home while our church members provide a host home for them for the full two years they are serving at Saddleback.
We accept applicants who have recently obtained their college degree and are called to a vocational ministry.
We prefer people with prior ministry experience and require a heart for learning and leading.
The potential intern must pass various interviews including a theological interview with one of our executive pastors.
We require that prospective interns visit Saddleback during their interview process. (This requirement is waived for internationals)
Each applicant must get his or her application in before the deadline. Below is a table of dates to follow.
The application process can take a couple of months to get through. It is important that the applicant enters into this process prayerfully and patiently.
Sometimes it takes awhile to get a hold of references, pastors for interviews, or even the applicant.
Here are some helpful hints to get through the process faster:
- Pray about it! Be sure that this is what God wants for you.
- Contact your references and let them know that we will be contacting them. That way, they can send back the form in a timely manner. Your application will not move onto the next phase until it is complete, and we have received all your references.
- Stay available through email! If we have questions or need to schedule an interview, we will be contacting you through email. The faster you respond, the faster your application will progress.
Here is a breakdown of the process:
Please know we are praying about you as well. If at any time throughout this process, we feel as though this opportunity may not be a good partnership, we will let you know.
- You send in application
- We check references
- We contact you for an interview with the Intern Director
- We contact you for an interview with a ministry Team Pastor
- You set up a visit to Saddleback with the Intern Director - This is at your expense - This step is waived for international interns
- We contact you for a Theological interview with an executive pastor
- We accept you into the program
- You turn in a proposed budget
- You raise support – 2 month’s support must be BANKED before you begin the internship & 24 months support must be PLEDGED before you begin the internship
- You begin the internship!
Packets you will need for the application process
for more information.