Author: Rick Warren
A study revealed that the typical American buys $1,300 on credit for every $1,000 he or she earns. Obviously, this causes enormous stress. When your output exceeds your income, your upkeep will be your downfall!
The Bible says, "Stupid people spend their money as fast as they get it." Proverbs 27:20 (GN)
What motivates us to live beyond our means? Why do we spend ourselves into debt? Why are we rarely satisfied with what we have?
Three Myths That Drive Us Into Debt:
MYTH #1: Having more things will make me more happy.
FACT: "He who loves money will never have enough. The foolishness of thinking that wealth brings happiness. The more you have, the more you spend..." Eccl. 5:10-11 (LB)
MYTH #2: Having more things will make me more important.
FACT: "Be on your guard against greed in any shape or form. For a man's REAL life in no way depends on the number of his possessions." Luke 12:15 (Ph)
MYTH #3: Having more things will make me more secure.
FACT: "The rich man thinks of his wealth as an impregnable defense, a high wall of safety. What a dreamer!” Prov. 18:11 (LB)
When we buy into these myths, we always overspend.
HOW TO ENJOY LIFE MORE...ON LESS:
1. Find my happiness in helping others. Jesus said "There's more happiness in giving than in receiving." Acts 20:35 (GN) Just look around you and you'll see this is true. The happiest people are those who help the most, not those who have the most. Misers are always miserable.
2. Find my self-worth by getting to know God. God says "You are precious in my sight!" Isaiah 43:4 You matter to God. He made you for a purpose. Genuine self-esteem comes from establishing a relationship to God and becoming all he meant for you to be.
3. Find my security in trusting God, not my bank balance. "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have because God has said, 'I will never leave you nor abandon you.'" Heb. 13:5 (GN) Real security must be found in something that can never be taken from you. While there are many ways to lose your possessions, Jesus said God will take care of you if you trust Him.
Until next week..
1. Do you find yourself struggling with one or more of these myths?
2. What could you do this week to know and trust God even more?
3. Who around you at work can you help?